Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

“ I’ d thought being Miss Nigeria was the best thing that could happen to me ” – Linda Ikeji

I’ d thought being Miss Nigeria was the best thing that could happen to me ” – Linda Ikeji
Dec 11 , 2016 • By Kush
Celebrity blogger Linda Ikeji has shared what she called ‘Saturday Morning Motivation ’. She disclosed how she lost out at the 2003 Miss Nigeria Pageantry , even when she thought she was the favourite to be crowned .
Read below :
These are photos of me at a beach party organized for contestants of the 2003 Miss Nigeria pageant . I bet some of you didn ’t know I once contested? I told y’ all I was a hustler back in the day .. lol. Anyway , I desperately wanted to win the pageant because I believed I could use the platform to achieve my other dreams. I imagined all the possibilities, starting an NGO , having a TV show , rubbing shoulders with important people etc . I was a little famous back then as a model and when word got out that I was contesting, many of the soft sell magazines reported it .
About a week before the pageant , I was so sure I would win it that I started making plans for life after being crowned Miss Nigeria 2003 . Most of the models and designers in Nigeria were behind me, even the press , so what could go wrong? Plus I’d organized the Miss Unilag pageant for 3 consecutive years so I knew what it took to win a pageant . .or so I thought !
And then the day of the pageant came . After all the 26 contestants were introduced on stage in different costumes, it was time for the Top 10 . We were all asked to go backstage so they could call out the 10 girls who had advanced to the next stage . I remember standing backstage with a huge smile on my face waiting for my number to be called . It was never called .
At first I thought it was a prank, that the organisers were just playing with me. That they would say a mistake was made and my number was omitted , and ask me to come join the other girls on stage . Then I heard the MC say ‘ladies and gentlemen , these are your Top 10 contestants ’. Then I saw all the other contestants who didn ’t make it taking off their jewelries and costumes. Some started crying , others were hugging each other but I didn ’ t move . I couldn’t believe it . Even if I didn ’t win the pageant , but not to even make Top 10 ? I was just standing there , unable to move… until a male model friend of mine came to hug me and told me ‘all will be well ’.
As I slowly started removing my costume , I remember thinking it was the end of everything I had planned for my future . I felt like a failure for weeks following the pageant . I was mostly in a daze , wondering what to do next . I ’d thought being Miss Nigeria was the best thing that could happen to me. And that dream was gone, and with it , all the great things I could have done or become .
But you see people , I forgot for one moment, that there was God . If only I knew that He had better plans for my future . Because you see , if I had won that pageant in 2003 , I never would have – 3 years later – thought of starting a gossip blog . I probably would have thought it was beneath me as a former queen . My life would have taken a different turn … but that wasn’ t God’ s plans for me. So that disappointment was a huge blessing !
You see , sometimes , some of the most amazing blessings happen when things don’t turn out the way we hoped it would . We think it ’ s the end when it ’s just a bend leading us through the right path , to where we are really meant to be . You have to trust that God knows what He ’ s doing in your life . Sometimes , He will not give you what you desperately want because He has planned something way better for you .
So when disappointments happen in your life , don ’t worry too much about it . Just trust God , stay patient and trust your journey.
All the best !
Linda
Excerpt from live ofofo. Com